"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Monday, July 11, 2011

China Recap

China provided me with a little bit of everything and I had mixed feelings about leaving. The route from Litang to Chengdu (Suchuan-Tibet Highway) provided amazing and not so great moments. The amazing being the Tibetan people, fellow cyclist, the scenery, and climbing heights that a year ago I would have laughed if someone told me I would climb 4000 meter mountains and love every minute of it. You may have noticed two other "lawai" (white people) in my photos, they are John and Emily (my support team) from Oregon.  The picked me up off the streets of Litang and invited me to join them on the road towards Chengdu.  They are awesome people who have been on the road for over 18 months you can check out their adventures at www.atourownpoace.com. The most trying parts were the muddy,dusty, potholed roads, rock slides, trucks, and army convoys. When all these elements were combined it made for trying days and moments, but I managed them all without ever throwing my helmet at anyone or anything even though I wanted to a few times :)


As my visa began to expire in China I was forced to take a train from Chengdu to Hohhot. Trains are usually booked in the summer so I had to take third class. The ride was 43hrs with people spitting on the floor, throwing trash out the window, and packing the aisles. It was that bad and made me ready to get out of China. I eventually did make it to the border with hours to spare both cycling and riding buses. Public transportation reminded me why I am choosing to cycle as much as possible, being trapped on trains and buses is like having your freedom taken away.  Despite the hectic last week of racing out of China I truly enjoyed myself there and would cycle there again without a second thought.

Special thanks to couchsurfers Bill (Dali), Dhane (Chengdu), and Jenny (Hohhot) for welcoming me into your homes. Also, to all the friendly people along the way who helped me out or just welcomed me with a smile!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment