"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Monday, May 2, 2011

Why?

I have been asked this question over a 100 times since I made the decision to cycle my way from Thailand to the UK. My first response is laughter followed by "for the adventure" or simply "I want to."  This journey will challenge me both mentally and physically and I look forward to it all.  There will be amazing days and not so good days, I am confident the good days will out number the bad ones. 

At this point the preparation is almost complete, however I am not sure you can ever feel completely prepared for something like this.  In my kit I have clothes for all the elements mother nature will throw at me plus spare parts for the bicycle and camping equipment. I feel I can fix most problems with my bike, but I am still unsure if I really will be able to mend a broken spoke or some unforeseen malfunction.  I am sure the most difficult repairs will come in the most remote place where its only me to fix the problem. I look forward to this and hope I am resourceful enough to fix it and move on even it does mean crying under a tree before regaining composure and tackling the issue. 

My wheels
My loyal mechanic/teacher in Chiang Mai










        One of the major goals of this trip, besides survival, is to keep this blog updated as much as possible with stories of adventure and the complete strangers who will help along the way while welcoming me into their community or house.  I have a strong faith in humanity and this faith gives me the confidence that this adventure can be completed before the end of 2011.

6 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful ride Jenna! I look forward to the blog updates. You look ready--have a fun adventure! xoxo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna. I'll definitely be rooting for you from Seattle. Good luck with your adventure! xoxo, Re

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Jenna, be careful!! We'll be keeping up with the blog posts and following you on your travels! See you in December!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna - Love the Twain quote! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete