"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Altai Mountains

"Your poor mother."

The Altai mountains are where the countries of Russia, Mongolia, Kazakstan, and China come together and were a pleasant surprise as I had no idea what to expect when I crossed the border. After leaving behind the dirt roads of Mongolia it was an amazing feeling to be riding on pavement again, but the best part was the insistence of the locals that I  shower and their overall concern for personal hygiene.  The people of the region were very friendly and came from a variety of backgrounds mostly Kazakstan, Uzbekistan and Armenia and their gift of choice was pine cones.  I am not sure the type of pine tree that grows here, which  I know is dissappintiing considering my father's profession  but people collect them and eat the seeds inside, use them to make honey or give to an apparent homeless girl on her bike. If you are curious what a pine cone tastes like well it tastes like a pine cone.  I quite enjoyed this southern Russian hospitality and it reminded me of my home with all the toothless, digit missing, camouflage wearing men running around with their hunting gear.  Of course they finish they day with vodka instead of budweiser but needless to say I felt right at home once I realized that everyone wore camo and not just the army.

One of numerous small villages along the way


Beluka mountain, the highest in Siberia


Carry a spare tire because sometimes your tire has just had enough


7000km and counting at the top of the second to last mountain pass on the journey

Atop the final mountain pass

Haha the locals after another long day


1 comment:

  1. why have i had to wait so long to see this amazingness. as always jenna, you are being totally inspirational.

    ReplyDelete