"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chiang Mai to Luang Nam Tha

I have now been on the road for one week exactly and arrived in Mengla, China this afternoon. As for China, the countryside is beautiful, however the cities will take some adjusting too, put it this way if looks could kill, I would  already be dead.

If the rest of the weeks go as smoothly as the first one did it will be clear sailing from here on out.  I headed north out of Chiang Mai on May 3rd towards Chiang Rai. The first couple days were relatively uneventful except for the amazing tan lines I am forming.  It took about half way through the first day for me to realize I am holiday for next seven months as I laid down to take a nap on a bench inside a national park. I continued on to small town about 86 kms outside of Chiang Mai and just south of The Cabbages and Condoms resort where their motto is:  "We promise you won't get knocked up here."  The next day I cycled the remaining 114 km to Chiang Rai.

The cycling to Chiang Rai was not that great, but maybe thats because I have been spoiled by Thailand.  However, as I left Chiang Rai towards Mengrai I was able top take the backroads thanks to a nice lady in Chiang Rai who gave me great directions taking me on the 1152 towards Mengrai. I stayed at a nice family run resort on the outskirts of MengRai going towards Chiang Kong on the 1174.  After Mengrai I made my way 60km to the border and officially said good bye to Thailand and hello to Beer Lao. I had no problems at the border, the boat guys were very helpful in loading my bags and bike on the boat at no extra charge. 

Once in Laos the pace immediately slows down and brings a smile to my face.  I spent most of the afternoon in Huay Xai eating, sleeping and preparing for the 180km to Luang Nam Tha.  The next morning, I thankfully grabbed a couple sandwiches and fruit for the road as there are very few options for food and water the next 70 km once you leave Huay Xai and there are a couple big climbs.  The sun was brutal this day as was the cycling and the theme of the day was "Man that's gotta be the top!"  The freshwater springs coming down the mountains were lifesavers as the provided water and a quick rinse, because there was very little shade on this route and the roads were a mix of gravel, dirt, and pavement.  I ended up cycling 120 km this day and the biggest climb of the day started at kilometer 75 haha.  The day was straining but the people along the way keep your spirits up. The truck drivers and construction workers were my biggest fans no suprise there really.  The locals were great too always greeting me with a smile and Sabadee, Hello, Bye...  At the end of the day after 8.5 hrs on the bike and just before dark I landed in Viengphoukha at Thong My Xai Guesthouse.  The lady brought me fried rice and a Beer Lao right to my table on the porch overlooking the river and its probably the best fried rice and beer I have ever tasted.  I highly reccomend this place for people around the area who want a day to relax and lay in the hammock by the river,which is what I did the following day before heading to Luang Nam Tha.

The next day was an easy 60km to Luang Nam Tha where I spent the day preparing for China as I set to completerly leave my comfort zone. I will be honest I sat at the Laos border today and stared at China and was wondering if I really wanted to leave the lovely peopl of Laos.  I took the plunge though and now I am here for the next 60 days. Let the adventure truly begin!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, JLee! I can not believe you are riding your bicycle in China! So glad to hear everything has been smooth sailing, thus far. Praying that continues. One week down, how many more to go? Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, Jenna, Jenna - you have encouraged me to blog, but who wants to read about an elementary school teacher from NJ when they can read about your adventures. I just can't compete - so I will just enjoy yours. It is great. Keep blogging. Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, see if you can learn Tuvan throat singing while you're pedaling.
    love, Mary H

    ReplyDelete