"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

First Impressions in Mongolia


Firstly there is free internet access (I missed facebook) and there is a giant desert here  and apparently there is no water in the desert, which makes for tough cycling as one might imagine. Lonely planet refers to the Gobi as one of the harshest environments on Earth, I agree with them on this one. All I manage to think about on the bike is water and when I try to think of something else it usually ends up being ice cream, rivers, or lakes. However, there have been a couple random wells that I have found either by following the herd of horses or being whistled over by a nomad or I have stopped at a random ger and asked for water and they provide it for me. I am not sure these people know how much I appreciate there water.
At this point I think I am a bit crazy, but the feeling of camping with no one for miles and watching the sunset or sunrise in complete silence is pretty spectacular, its far better than watching it from a crowded train. Basically my main goal everyday is to survive and I do it well I must say. I pack 12 liters of water on my bike along with food provisions like peanut butter, jam, bread, tuna fish, oatmeal, and noodles.  This all makes for a heavy load, but when I think of dumping things I say "Jenna its a f***ing desert, you need this stuff!"  The animal skeletons are also a reminder.
I am currently in Sainshand and will continue my journey north where it becomes less deserty, but its a bit hard to motivate yourself  to go back in the desert where there is nothing for miles and miles. Oh well I signed up for this and I can't wait to see my next town equipped with lots of cold things!!

No comments:

Post a Comment