"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ulaangom to Olgii

Always a proud moment when you reach the top.
 The road from ULG to Olgii was described by a certain travel book as "pleasant."  Pleasant sounds like something my mother would enjoy (no offense mom), however I do not think she would define climbing ridiculously steep passes on rocky roads as pleasant.  Not that I did not enjoy my final leg in Mongolia, but I would chose words such as challenging, rugged, and difficult.  However it was extremely rewarding in the end.   By the time I was approaching Olgii I decided that I was done with wandering around Mongolia on a bicycle not ever knowing where I am, riding on terrible roads, and climbing steep passes over loose rocks and sand.  The last climb before Olgii generously provided me with all these obstacles with the addition of a headwind.  When I finally reached the top and could view Olgii from above and patted myself on the back for basically surviving the trans Mongolian cycle route.   I still have 100km left to cycle to enter Russia so still a bit more surviving to do, but hopefully I can handle whatever comes my way without loosing my cool on the way to big, scary, cold Russia!!  As for Russia, I have absolutely no idea what to to expect, should be fun!


Uureg Nuur (Lake)



Approaching Uureg Nuur


One of the toughest climbs of the journey.

Five hours later I am at the top!!

Achit Nuur


Next on cribs....

The Khovd River leading to Olgii

Olgii!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment