"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Twain)

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Road from Chuxiong to Dali

 
I have spent the last few day here basically relaxing and enjoying having conversations with other English speakers.  I was suppose to leave today and yesterday but neither really worked out, but tomorrow the 30th is the likely day of departure towards Lijiang and from there climbing over 4000 meters to Litang near the Tibet border where I will try really hard not to sneak into Tibet.

Just to clear things up for my mother, yes people are still being kind to me, except the bathroom keeper in Dali. I went to use the public toliets in the city and was immediately berated by a man sitting outside. Apparently, I was suppose to pay, but there was no sign so how was to know. I decided after being yelled at that I longer needed the bathroom and defiantly was not giving that man 1Y for his toliets.  Plus Chinese public toliets have been some of the worse I have ever encountered in my young life. For example, I have never had to squat over a trough before in a line of ladies.  The only way to I can use the public "holes" here is too hold my breath, close my eyes, and hope for the best!

On a differet note, I was able to connect with a Chinese cyclist (Bill) through couchsurfing and stay a night with him and his family Xingyun.  When I arrived in Xingyun I called Bill to find a meeting point and he told me to stand in the middle of the street and he would find me, sure enough I did and he found me shortly after.  I followed him to his house where I was welcomed as part of the family it felt really good to be in a family atmosphere and not a dingy Chinese guesthouse.  His wife cooked an amazing dinner and we shared beers including his 11 year old daughter, apparently beer is not alcohol in China.  Bill was super helpful in drawing me a map for the next days ride to Dali and giving me helpful info about the ins and outs of Chinese.  I was relieved that I had yet to do anything culturally offensive yet, at least that I know of.

The cycling will continue high up into the mountains on dirt roads and I am super excited for them.  I never really thought I would enjoy China this much from the scenerary to the people and especially the food. Maybe I will just have to come back and teach English here.

Jenna Lee

1 comment:

  1. so WHAT was the reason for the extended stay in dali eh?!? KP

    ReplyDelete